CREATING YOUR OWN TEXTURES FOR BLENDER, MARVELOUS DESIGNER, SECOND LIFE, ETC.

Today, I want to share some resources for making your own textures.  I been mucking around with the Udemy Beginning Blender course for a couple of months now.  Thank heavens it is a one time fee for the course since I am slow at learning.  I want to share one of the projects we did via the course.  We have been using Blender Render and Blenders Cycles to render things we have made. 

The following screen shot is of renders done we made in Blender and is the completion of the Fluffy Bunny Section of the actual course itself.  The particular project was to create a bunny then add grass, bushes, and trees to the scene. We created all the items in Blender using various methods including particle generation and using the sapling add-on for the bushes and trees. The actual grass and flowers textures were in the course asset packet to use for our scenes.


Fluffy Bunny Lecture Session-Final Render 

Each time I do one of these course projects, I have to moan about the textures.  Most are not very enticing usually.  The one thing this course has reiterated to me is the need for via textures I can use.  I can't always depend on finding "free" textures on the web or, purchase pre-made textures for my projects since many items I am starting to create require something more specific or specialized.  While I am learning Cycles is good at creating metals and glass for texturing pieces of my creations and it does enhance textures, it doesn't actually create what I consider a texture.

I have messed around for quite a long time altering some textures I purchased over the years from various sources in Second Life (SL). These were usually simple alterations and improve my In-World creations. But, it doesn't seem like those textures I previously paid good hard earned money for are usable outside of SL not even for personal non-commercial use.  While there are plenty of texture services you can purchases textures from on the web, with various pricing structures, or, you can find lots of free resources out there as well, most really don't meet my needs.  There is also the issues of Terms of Service (TOS) or User License Agreements (ULA) that need to be read carefully and adhered to so you do not find yourself with a DMCA filed against you.  So, I decided the best way to keep in good standing with the world is to learn how to make textures myself.

I started toddling around YouTube and the Internet to see what I could find in the way of "teaching" myself how to make textures.  There are lots and lots of resources out there for both Photoshop and Gimp to from but, it does take time to peruse these and see what meets your needs. 

To help you on your search I thought I would share some tutorials I been watching in my search to make my own textures.

USING YOUR CAMERA TO MAKE YOUR OWN TEXTURES

CG Geek is a rather quirky guy in this video.  I am assuming he is putting his own trademark on his videos with his quirky spin on teaching you how to create nature textures.   If you can get past his quirkiness, he offers some excellent tips on how to photograph nature items.  He also takes you through a quick "how to" do post production work using Photoshop to create seamless textures.

Please note you can easily use Gimp or another graphics program to apply the techniques he uses in Photoshop to create tileable/repeatable textures. I have also heard that Gimp has a function to make textures seamless, which is a lot easier than Photoshop method.  I have seen it in action in the past and it did a pretty good job so you may wish to use multiple software in post productions.

If you find yourself short of time and don't mind purchasing royalty free pre-made models or textures for Blender, CG Geek (Steve Lund) offers a nice nature pack for about $10.00 USD from CGCookies' Blender Market Place at the following URL  https://cgcookiemarkets.com/all-products/realistic-nature-asset-pack/

How to Create Textures from Scratch! By CG Geek


CREATING SEAMLESS TILEABLE TEXTURES
Porter Nielsen gives you a great overview of how to turn a texture into a seamless texture.  It is similar to the method used by CG Geek but goes more in depth about of methods to use.  Porter also introduces the use of Filter Forge (not a free product), which also will assist you in seamless production of textures.

Seamless Textures 101 by Porter Nielsen


For those of you looking to create composite textures (i.e. texture with multiple features like windows on a wall, walls with vines, etc.) for gaming uses. You might give this series of articles on How to Create a Basic Game Environment by Creativebloq Art & Design Inspiration. Another good article you might be interested in from the CG Society, "Top Ten Tips of Texturing" The Top Ten Tips of Texturing

CREATING WOOD TEXTURES

Robin Sojourner is a long time resident of Second Life.  In real life, she is a  Michigan-based fantasy artist Robin Wood, who has contributed many excellent tutorials related to texturing and other things Second Life.  You can find several tutorials and other useful information on her website. http://www.robinwood.com/ Robin also has a blog http://robinwood.com/blog/ where she publishes more recent information and stories and YouTube channel where you can find the following tutorial

Wood Grain in an Action - Photoshop Tutorial By Robin Wood


The list of video tutorials for creating wood, stone walls, brick walls, etc. are numerous on the web using a Google search or even in YouTube.   You just have to preserve and be patient till you find something to your liking and needs. 

I hope you have fun with this!

Happy Creating!
Morgaine














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER CYCLES TUTORIAL

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER