The Materials Smuggler--Textures for Second Life

The Materials Smuggler 

 Professionally crafted textures & materials maps for Second Life.

I wanted to share with my Readers, especially those builders out there, a new texture and material resource in Second Life.  

Some of you may already know OptimoMaximo and have taken classes from him at Builders Brewery.  Optimo is a long-term SL Resident , who has taught many SL Residents how to use Blender from beginning Blender classes teaching the basics through rigging and skinning, modeling, and texturing of mesh clothing. Recently, he has started teaching beginning Maya classes at Builders Brewery to better prepare SL creators for the new Sansar platform (affectionately called by many Second Life 2). 

Aside from teaching Blender and Maya classes, Optimo is a professional CG artist in real life (RL),  who has worked in the industry for over 10 years.  He shares his knowledge and experience of a complicated and complex workflow through his classes with those of  us who may know nothing about such things. I know I have learned so very much by taking these classes and thank you for sharing what he knows with us. 

I just found out recently, Optimo has decided to use his professional skills to create and sell textures and material maps to add extra depth and lighting qualities to our creations. This makes me very very happy because if you are like me, I do not usually create my own textures nor do I usually have the time to so.  Being able to purchase top quality textures, for use in my creations, from someone I know and trust and is a great thing for me and my customers. 

I know when all these new available texture options became available I was very confused over diffuse vs. normal vs. shadow vs. specular maps etc.  Don't worry, Optimo has a nice notecard explaining this information in an easy to understand manner if you are as confused as I use to be. It will help you make the appropriate choices for your building needs.  If you would like more in-depth information, check out the links in the resources section of this article. 

Like all full permissions work, Optimo does have a licensing agreement regarding his textures posted in his shop. Currently, texture usage is limited to the Second Life grid, if you have needs of using textures elsewhere, you will need to speak with Optimo about other licensing arrangements. Please read this licensure information before you buy.

RESOURCES
UNDERSTANDING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TEXTURE MAPS
http://blog.digitaltutors.com/understanding-difference-texture-maps/

Materials: Normal and Specular Mapping

https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Materials-Normal-and-Specular-Mapping/ta-p/2034625

SPECULARITY
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specularity 



Happy New Year & Happy Creating!
Morgaine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

MAKE MEDIEVAL ARCHES & VAULTS IN BLENDER