MAYA THE NEXT GENERATION SOFTWARE FOR SECOND LIFE2??


Apparently, it is rumored the new Second Life new generation platform (SL2), currently being created by Philip Linden and his team (or, whoever is creating it), will only allow mesh items created via Auto Desk's Maya software.  While this is not the first time I have heard this rumor, I must say I am not overly happy when I heard it the first time and is am still not very happy as a hobbyist creator or, as a perspective resident.  I can understand Phillip wanting to create a great product and take advantage of the upgrades that have have happened since Second Life (SL1) was originally created. I understand the need to be progressive and yet, I still find it terribly sad IF SL2 IS ONLY going to allow Maya builders to be part of the new world being created.  

One of the things that has always been a plus for me in SL1 is the creativity and skills Residents have to create the world what it is.  Sure, Linden Labs has provided the virtual server space and the functionality for the world but it is the Residents that have made the world what it is. I am allowed me to create my own world and what I want to see in it.  I don't have to depend on others and buy their things that may not suit me.  If I have the time, skills, and patience, I can create what I want. 

And, most of the creation tools we can use are open source, usually free or minimal cost software. We still have to learn to use these tools but at least, we are not out tons of money if we give up on trying to learn to use them. Many people, like myself, have learned these new skills and contributed to our SL experience. Will we be able to do that in the new SL2?  Why won't we be able to bring out inventories over (Yes, another hotly debated issues)?  Who knows!  There is so little information out there at this point is no way to tell what is going to happen other than our familiar virtual world as we know it will be changing. I honestly think the SL2 creators need to sit back, and analyze what has worked and what hasn't worked, start listening to their Residents wants and needs, and think about retaining current Residents and how to acquire new ones.

Please be aware that Maya is very costly.  I think when I checked into the  pricing for a cheapest most basic desktop version it was $1,400.00 a year or $185.00 per month.  If you are a student, teacher, or mentor, you can get a 3 year free subscription.  You will need to check the Auto Desk website for more information about pricing and educational pricing. 


Anyway, it is best to be prepared!  

For those of you, who are interested, Haven Ditko has created some new videos on using Maya to give everyone that wants to a head start on the learning curve for creation. 

Maya for the beginner Interface part 1
By Haven Ditko
Published: 6-6-2015


If the Video doesn't play, visit the following URL https://youtu.be/5GnUTOUY_hI 

Maya for the beginner Navigating part 2
By Haven Ditko
Published: 6-6-2015



If the Video doesn't play, visit the following URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaSCrc8dQQ8 



Maya for the beginner QWERTY Toolbox part 3 

By Haven Ditko
Published: 6-6-2015



 If the Video doesn't play, visit the following URL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CnpM3Y6fIU

Happy Creating!

Morgaine Christensen
http://hellhousestudios.blogspot.com/
https://www.pinterest.com/mjhecate/marvelous-designer/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

WHAT THE HECK ARE ALL THESE MAPS IN BLENDER AND 3D MODELING?