TRACING REAL LIFE PATTERNS IN MARVELOUS DESIGNER

I was having some issues with being able to trace a real life pattern in Marvelous Designer.  I haven't been using Marvelous Designer much due to other projects going on in Second Life over the summer.  So, when I went to work on a maternity mesh item, my brain was just dead and could not figure it out on my own. One of those "Oh Crap" moments when I forgot some very simple things! I encountered this issue before and found the answer I needed at that time.  Of course, since I didn't post it to the blog, I had to hunt.

So, with my best friend Google and YouTube, we went in search of a solution via video and/or instructions. I still did not find the video I was looking for, which I believe was created by Haven Ditko and was posted on YouTube, her website or Ditko University. If I remember correctly, and often I don't,  I had to watch Haven's video several times before...ding, ding, ding...I became enlightened. Naturally, I couldn't find it! If I do find it again, I will revise this article and share it with you.

However, during the process, I did stumble a different video that solved this issue. There is a bit of a trick to this, it is squares within squares or, think of it in SL building terms, prims inside of prims.  However, the video posted below takes out the remembering part, as will this blog article, for me if I forget again!  See, is a method to my writing madness--perpetual virtual memory articles!


How to Trace a Pattern in Marvelous Designer 3 By Kimberly Hargis


 
If you the video doesn't play well, you can follow this link to YouTube to watch it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhD8YM2arg 

THE TRICKY PART

Hopefully, you aren't as clueless over this as I was over this issue.  The issue I had before watching this video was...

  • Create a rectangle
  • Drag the pattern texture you wish to "trace"to the rectangle
  • Using the "Polygon" tool, trace your pattern piece out. 

Simple and logical right? LOL that would have been too easy!

Here is the catch to the method I was trying to do...once you place that last closing "dot" your pattern piece immediately has this funky texture from the original square.  While is may not be a problem for some, if you wish to use the "Edit Curvature" tool to tweak the pattern you created from the original, you are out of luck!  Sure, you can move the texture around inside the pattern piece you created, but is very annoying and frustrating sometimes and I have found is not always accurate.  I know many will say you don't have to be precise with making clothing in MD; however, some of us, (me included) like to be precise as possible.  It is just our nature.  If you follow Kimberly's video, you won't have this tricky part to deal with since her method is simple, easy, and clean.

I hope this article will help those of you out there who may also encountered this issue and were frustrated by it.  

Happy Creating, 
Morgaine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER CYCLES TUTORIAL

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER