HOW TO ADD A SKIN TEXTURE YOUR MARVELOUS DESIGNER MODEL

So many new educational videos and tutorials being released in the last few weeks and covering so many different topics relating to mesh by so many different creators and educators!  This video came out just when I was asking for this same information not more than two days ago in one of the Blender groups! I futzed around a bit but gave up on it! 

Haven Ditko has a new tutorial out on how to add "skin textures" to your MD Avatar/model.  I don't know about you but the gray or white models make it difficult to see the placement of things on the avatar.  Being able to texture the model visually enhances the work space making it easier to see.  It makes a huge difference when draping the model to see how well it fits and is positioned where you want it.  

While this is NOT in the video and my own thoughts, I think if you want a more precise modeling experience for the SL default Avatar, I am sure you could use the clothing UV templates from Robin Wood or Chip Midnight instead of skin textures.  The same principle would apply as what is presented in the video.

Marvelous Designer : Skinned Avatar by Haven Ditko


SAVING THE AVATAR
I had to play around with is a bit so I didn't have to import the Avatar each time I needed it.  Just moving the Avatar .obj file into the md3 resources folder DOES NOT work in my version like I thought it should have....crazy me, huh?

What does work is once you have textured your model in MD, do a Save AS...Avatar...to your desk top.  This will create an .avt file for use with MD.  

Open your md3 Resources folder...create a new fold with an appropriate name...then drag the new .avt file into that folder...close it.

Go into MD...then your Library far left panel...under Favorites List...click the plus sign...find the newly created folder and add it.  

Now, when you need to add the avatar, open the fold in favorites, double click or drag the small icon to the work simulation area...start creating.

It is good to see Haven still providing educational opportunities for Second Life Residents. I sorely miss the classes at Ditko University; I learned so much there in relationship to Blender.  But, if you are interested in one-on-one education and training, visit Haven's website/blog for information on private tutoring.   

http://ditko.azurewebsites.net/?page_id=2311 

I can't wait to see what she comes out with next!  Great Job, Haven!  Thank you!

Happy Creating Everyone,
Morgaine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

WHAT THE HECK ARE ALL THESE MAPS IN BLENDER AND 3D MODELING?