WEIGHT PAINTING WITH BLENDER FOR SECONDLIFE MESH CLOTHING

I have two things I am working on currently.  Looking at pattern design and transfer for Marvelous Designer and the other is how to do weight painting in Blender.  While I understand the concept, it just doesn't work so well for me; it's like I am missing something.  And, Blender has changed from when I first tried weight painting using the Avastar addon.  

Of course, another problem is the tri/quad Marvelous Designer issue, Blender's weight painting MD mesh makes it more complicated and doesn't work well at all.  I am sure more advanced designers and modelers have no issues, but being new, I most certainly do.  Maybe other software works better with weight painting, but not being able to afford the more expensive stuff, is hard to say.  

I been scrapping up my nickles and dimes for months, foregoing eating out, and doing without some other things to buy ZBrush for myself as a birthday present.  Happy Birthday to me!  Yes, I am a glutton for punishment...yet something else to learn!  But I do hope, with some tris to quad conversion, maybe I can do some weight paining in ZBrush?  Or, at least do the conversion, take it back to Blender and try again.

So me being me, more curiosity than a cat, I had to go looking for some answers to my dilemma.  I found these resources a few months back so they might not be as up-to-date as they could be.  Maybe, they will help you with any weight paining dilemma you have.


ZoyncTV--has quite a few useful Blender videos for beginners.  While these videos are not Second Life specific, many are great for any beginner learning Blender. I would recommend browsing his other videos or even subscribing to his channel. 

Blender 2.6 Weight Painting Tutorial-- ZoyncTV.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFHz2ACfA6Y

Gaia Clary--For those of you, new or, old even, to Blender and Second Life will find a VERY VALUABLE RESOURCE in Gaia Clary.  Both her blog and her videos on YouTube for JASS, Primstar, and Avastar are all geared to Second Life.  She is a long time resident of Second life and has been working with the folks at Blender to make improvements useful for Avastar and Blender users.  Be sure to check out her blog and her videos on YouTube.  

Note: These videos are for older versions of Blender (current one version is 2.70a as of this writing) and work with an older version of Avastar.  They do work and is the method I learned when taking classes at Ditko University's Blender Rigged Mesh Clothing class before everything in Blender and Avastar got updated. 


Avastar -- Weight Tools--Gaia Clary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=634IgyFz2yQ&list=PLCC543206840CAC0A  
Avastar: -5- Mesh Rigging--Gaia Clary 
Avastar: -6- Mesh Weighting--Gaia Clary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97GJ5g0t_8I 

If you find more Weight Painting information for Blender or ZBrush, written or videos, please drop me a note card In-world with the URL.  I would like to add them to the list. 

Happy Meshing, Everyone
Morgaine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

WHAT THE HECK ARE ALL THESE MAPS IN BLENDER AND 3D MODELING?