MARVELOUS DESIGNER TO BLENDER TO SECOND LIFE--A WORK PROCESS

A friend asked me for a written note of my work process within the global workflow for creating mesh clothing.  This is what I have come up with so far.  Please note, this is MY process and how I currently work. 

I have refined this process over the months I been experimenting.  It is a similar process that everyone uses I think and in their heads.   I have just written it down to share and for you to compare with your own.  There really is no right or wrong way to go about I don't think...but I could be wrong in that. 

This process can and will change as I learn more and refine my skills. A lot will also depend on the various software I use and any upgrades made. Also don't count on this work flow being totally accurate....I typed in a hurry.

Marvelous Designer Process:

1) Open Marvelous Designer (MD)
2) Clear the Avatar
3) Drag the Standard Second Life(SL) Avatar I have installed into the pattern window.
4) Create a garment.
5) Add different colored fabric for "textures/materials"to each piece.  Can never have enough texturable faces.
6) Save the "finished" garment file as a project for later use.
7) Export the garment as .obj file as a Single Object, Weld, Unified UV Coordinates checked, Units as Meters

ZBrush
I do not currently use ZBrush; however, for my birthday, here in a few short days, I hope to purchase it.   Since MD cannot turn tris into quad mesh, I will be integrating it into my work flow.  I understand it makes it easier to weight paint and make mesh adjustments.

Blender:
1) Open Blender
2) Add standard Avastar mannequin
3) Import MD Obj file.
4) In Edit mode, inspect the mesh.  Make any corrections needed.
5) Review the UV maps. Resize/scale if needed.
6) Export the UV layout
7) Create any AO or Shadow Maps
8) Add solidify to the interior of the garment where needed.
9) Where/if possible, add a separate "texture or material" to the interior of the garment so it is independent. 
10) Mark/seam/unwrap the in interior and make separate UV.
11) Create Alpha Layer and export to Photoshop. Refine if needed
12) Rig the mesh
13) Weight paint the mesh
14) Export as dae file.  Make sure only selected mesh is exported.

Second Life:
1) Import Dae file
2) Attach Mesh to appropriate SL AV attachment point NOT default to right hand.
3) Create Alpha Mask to be worn (can do this in Blender or Photoshop/Gimp using the SL clothing templates.
4) Check out the fit, weight painting movement with different AOs, alpha layer, texturing.
5) Package up the mesh. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

MAKE MEDIEVAL ARCHES & VAULTS IN BLENDER