My Version of Designing Clothing for SL-Part 0

Yes, I know other Second Life Residents  have done tutorials on the subject of making layered clothing.  But, I have wanted to do this series for a long time and add my personal spin to gathering together various sites and resources, which have helped me along the way.  I am NO SL layered clothing expert.  What you will find in theses series of articles are my thoughts and approaches only.

By the way, I have a very full RL and SL, which means  new articles you may be waiting breathlessly for, could cause you to become oxygen deprived.  I will do these as I can.

 Okay, there are a couple of things you should know upfront before you get too excited. 

**Boy, how things have changed!
1)  I AM NOT some big name Clothing Creator/Designer/Merchant in Second Life sharing secrets with you so you can get rich in SL.  Actually, none of what I am going share is really a "secret".  All the "secrets" are already out there, they are just not in one place. And, unless you know what you are looking for, you may not find them easily nor, in one spot.

2) I DO NOT have any formal education or training as a graphics artist. What I have learned, I have learned by hard work, taking in-world classes, asking questions, experimenting, reading tutorials, watching videos, doing research, getting mad and deleting stuff and starting over hundreds of times.

3) I CAN'T paint, draw, or sketch for the life of me in RL. Don't ask me to draw you a straight line, even with a ruler, cause it is just not gonna happen!  I know damn little of color theory, perspective, shadows/highlighting, or, drapes or folds. I am not crafty. But, I have not let these little irritants stop me from going ahead and trying my hand at being creative in Second Life.

4) I know ZIP of formal fashion designing or it's concepts.  And, while I can sew under dire circumstances, my RL skills are limited. Home Economics was not something I took in High School

5) I AM a regular "plain Jane" sort of woman.  I buy clothes for comfort, fit, practicality, quality, cost  and off the rack.  **Haute couture R Not Us. 

6) YES, the Fashion Police would stop me a lot for assorted and sundry fashion faux pas in RL. They probably would imprison me for my crimes and insure I had intensive "fashion sense" therapy before I was allowed out into society again.

7) I am NOT a formal educator. So, if you are expecting lessons or information that flows well, think again.  I will try my best not to jump around, try to be as concise and clears as I can, and, TRY not to kill you with too much information. Don't hold your breathe though, I am a "TMI" girl. 

 
Whew, I feel much better now, don't you? 

Okay, now that we have established that I may be similar to others SL Residents out there wanting to make clothing for SL, let's start down the rocky path and see what we can find. 


* The picture up above is floating around the web on various sewing and quilter sites purporting to be from a 1949 Singer Sewing Manual so take it for what it is worth.  This is where I original saw this so am attributing it to the following site. http://pinterest.com/pin/244601823482867044/

**Check this out for a little information about haute couture http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haute_couture


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

WHAT THE HECK ARE ALL THESE MAPS IN BLENDER AND 3D MODELING?