Misleading Mesh Advertisements?


When browsing the Second Life Marketplace, my current pet peeve is"...it comes in 3 (insert your own number here) standard sizes." NOT!!!!

While that bit of advertising seems to be innocuous, it is terribly misleading.  Some might even say it is false advertising.  Unless I have totally missed something along the way...THERE IS NO STANDARD AV SIZE in Second Life.

Each creator may have decided and created their OWN STANDARD AV size based on what they think is standard, but it is not THE standard AV size.

Let me repeat it one more time....There is NO STANDARD AV size in Second life!

Yes, SL does have some starter AVs, which could be considered "standard size" but only in a loose sense of the word.  There is a downloadable AV.obj file from SL, which you could say is a set standard; however, this standard is sunk when Residents start fiddling with the sliders to customize their shape.


 IF there is a STANDARD, it is either a creator's personal standard size based either on their personal AV, the downloadable AV .obj file from SL, some unknown formula they may have created or, it is a standard size agreed upon by a collective group of creators. 

My AV is custom created by me!  I have fiddled with it over the years to get it just right.  While I don't mind adding an AV layer to hide the hideous SL feet, I do mind having to hide the rest of my body with alphas to fit your clothing!

Being a creator myself and in the process of learning Blender, I DO UNDERSTAND your limitations in  clothing creation.  Like you, I DO HOPE the proposed privately created transformer happens, which should make us all happy being able to adjust mesh clothing.  But until that time, please Creators....STOP touting the phrase...."it comes in X standard sizes" unless you qualify to say it is YOUR standard for creation.
 
Grrrr.....



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

WHAT THE HECK ARE ALL THESE MAPS IN BLENDER AND 3D MODELING?