WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN OPACITY AND FILL?

 This is a re-post from our Hell House Design Blog,which  is being incorporated into the umbrella group of Hell House Studios for easier maintenance and to better serve ALL of our customers.


I will be the first to admit that I flail around attempting to create textures needed for  Second Life (SL).    It is usually CHEAPER and quicker  to buy a pre-made texture from someone else than to attempt to create my own.  But, if you use someone else's textures, you don't have that satisfied feeling "I made that" nor, do you own the Intellectual Property rights of that item.  Depending on the licensing and/or the Terms of Service (TOS), you may be rather limited in scope with certain textures purchased.


As I was attempting to learn to make SL clothing layers on a much needed chemise (I learn better doing an actual project I need) for a sim project, I had some difficult adjusting the transparency of a fabric layer.

I had made a background layer then added a pattern effect, which was too dark for what I wanted.  I tried to adjust the FILL OPTION (fill is usually the only feature I use or, have up till now) but it effected the background not the added pattern.  After some fiddling around with it, I got it corrected...don 't ask me how at this point..., but it made me stop and ask...."What is the difference between Fill and Opacity in Photoshop?

So, as I run across them, I will be posting from time to time little snippets I have learned along the way which may be useful to YOU the  budding artist.

OPACITY vs. FILL
Okay, this is pretty simple and easy enough to wrap my head around.

1) OPACITY affects the WHOLE layer including any effects you add from  Layer Style (i.e. drop shadows, pattern, stroke, etc.) .  If you want everything on a particular layer to be reduced in transparency  together, use the Opacity option and reduce it as desired. 

2) FILL affects only the OBJECT(s) you have applied on the layer.  Fill doesn't mess with the LAYER STYLE effects you have added.  If you change the transparency, only your objects in the layer will change.


If this doesn't make sense to you, check out these  URLs

http://creativebits.org/photoshop/fill_vs_opacity_in_ps_layers
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/basics/layers/opacity-vs-fill/

Have a great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SECOND LIFE MODEL IN A-POSE FOR MARVELOUS DESIGNER

BLENDER-IMPORT IMAGES AS A PLANE-CYCLES RENDER

WHAT THE HECK ARE ALL THESE MAPS IN BLENDER AND 3D MODELING?